Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Anecdote of the Day: Speakers, Please Work!

All sorts of hijinks and shenanigans go down at the office where I work.  Dealing with seriously mentally ill people and suicidal people for a living (a paltry living) means you need an outlet.  It also means some days you get back to the office and your brain is fried.  Take today for example...

We have this nifty system at work where you can get your voice mail on the computer and forward messages through e-mail to whoever the client has called to speak with.  Today my boss got a message for me and forwarded it on to my e-mail. 

Dutifully I opened the message, clicked on the attached sound bite, and turned on my speakers manually at the base of the computer.  The media player popped up.  Pretty colored sound wave simulations went swishing across the media player's screen.  I leaned in close.  And I heard absolutely nothing.

I turned the speakers off.   I whined a little under my breath.

The speakers clicked back on.  Leaning closer still I again heard absolutely nothing.  I might have muttered something unflattering towards the computer then said aloud "why aren't these speakers working!" 

Turn the speakers off again.  Turn them on. 

Make sure the sound is up on the media player.  Look at the pretty simulation of sound waves. 

Wail plaintively that my speakers are not working.  "They must be broken!" 

From across the cubicle a coworker that knows me pretty well, without even looking up, comments "did you turn the mute off?" 

Humph. 

Lets just say it was a long day and the mute button had been hidden as an "unused icon."  The speakers are now working just fine.  At least I have other people who can be my brain for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment