Monday, March 14, 2011

Unplanned Cookie Detour

Today, instead of balancing my budget, working out a meal plan for the week so I can simultaneously lose weight and save money by not eating out, walking my dog, sweeping my floor so I can see the pretty wood through all the dog hair, or doing any other productive thing… I made cookies!  Not just any cookies, but delicious “my mom made these for my dad and I when I was little (and maybe when I go home for Christmas sometimes)” cookies.  Oatmeal chocolate chip to be exact.  My whole house smells delicious and the Little Girls  (more on them later) kept running into the kitchen with their noses high in the air reveling in the smell.  I promised all the dogs a small bite of cookie, but only a small one because I loaded these suckers with chocolate and butterscotch chips! Mmm.  Some of the cookies were so packed with chocolate and butterscotch goodness the dough would hardly hold up around them. 



This decision, to make cookies instead of doing something that might have been more productive or sensible was good for my soul.  Sometimes these days, between working 31 hours a week and doing my masters, it feels like all I’m doing is what is “sensible” and on the check list.  Making cookies wasn’t on the checklist and the feeling of the dough in my hands, the smell of the cookies baking, and the taste of them fresh from the oven was very healing.  Bless cookie making and thank The Cottage for the lovely stove, the counter space, and my tiny European dishwasher.  


No comments:

Post a Comment