Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Why I Watch Hoarders.

Is it bad to admit that sometimes I watch the show Hoarders to make myself feel better about my own housekeeping skills?  What I tell people is that I watch it because I’m in the Behavioral Health Field and it is educational. In reality I see all that clutter and stuff in those “other people’s” homes and every clear space in my house suddenly becomes a cathartic reminder that, while I am no Martha Stewart (okay, sometimes I feel pretty close to a disaster) I might not the “terrible housekeeper of the year” winner for a tenth year in a row…. so, is it wrong to admit this?

The Thinker By Auguste Rodin

Yes. I have concluded it is wrong to admit that I feel better about myself after watching that show.  First off, Hoarding is an illness and to feel better about oneself because one does not have an illness just seems wrong.  Although perhaps if I said it made me feel grateful for health in this area it would be a little less wrong.  Second, really, if I don’t have an illness what is my excuse for the cluttered state of my house?  Yikes.  So lets just forget I brought this topic up and focus instead on flowers and the color purple, which is a really beautiful color.  



 And least you readers worry that I am now sinking into a pit of despair over my poor housekeeping skills (okay, maybe I've sunk into a small pit of despair, I have a lot of very neat/clean/good housekeeper of the year relatives), someone close to me will inevitably remind me that I am working full time, going to school full time, and caring for five active, messy animals.  

Oh!  There's my excuse.  Whew.

2 comments:

  1. I am gettin' on a plane first thing in the morning!! :):) YOU make me laugh!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this! thanks for sharing your blog. There are more important things in this world than clean houses. :) I hope... Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete