Thursday, April 7, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I read.  I read voraciously.  In the last two days I couldn't put this book down.  It is a young adult book, very easy to burn through, and gripping. I discovered it when I saw they were making a movie from the books (it's one in a series of three) and went to Amazon to check out the first few pages.  Then I got hooked.  At least it's not cocaine. 

Set in North America sometime after civilization as we know it has been wiped out, a new nation called Panem has arrisen.  This nation keeps its citizens in line through harsh tactics and a yearly festival called The Hunger Games.  In this celebration one girl and one boy from each of the nation's districts is chosen to fight to the death in a vast arena where only one can survive.  The sixteen-year-old heroine, Katniss, has an unbearable choice when her little sister gets chosen to fight.  Does she take her sister's place or let her sister go? Either way it is surely a death sentence for whoever goes.  And what about the other children chosen to go into the ring? 

The back of the book will tell you more than I am, but lets just say there were enough twists to keep me interested, even though it's young adult fiction.  The ending wasn't too surprising, but it is well worth the read. 

I love books...

No comments:

Post a Comment